Keeping our children safe should be top priority today. Helping children avoid preventable accidents can be simple. We can teach them to use caution in their daily life and during disasters. Here are some simple tips that can help our children stay safe and avoid accidents. Explore the Essential Safety Tips For Kids Now!
Natural disasters can happen with little warning. We can’t be with our children 24 hours a day so it is best to teach them safety tips in the event of an emergency when we are not with them. A hurricane or sometimes called a cyclone is a storm that forms over water and produces sometimes catastrophic winds at speeds of 155 miles an hour or more. A Hurricane is normally predictable but sometimes it’s path can shift from the expected mapping. Here are some tips to help a child stay safe during a hurricane.
Hurricane safety tips for kids
- Show your child where the shut off valves are for the gas and electricity
- Educate your child on the way to obtain information during a disaster, they can use a cell phone or tune in on the radio or television. They need to know that they should only use the phone for emergency calls. Remind them to preserve all batteries as much as possible.
- Show your child where you store your emergency kit for home. Remind them that they should always bring a pair of shoes with them if they have to evacuate.
- Set up a common contact outside of the area or stay in order for the whole family to check in.
- If you have a basement and you are not in a flood area it may be best to have them go below ground during storm.
- Stay indoors
- Close all doors in home interior and exterior
- Stay away from windows
Tornados have up to 300 mile an hour winds and can be catastrophic. Tornados can come without warning here are some safety tips for your child.
Tornado safety tips for kids
- Children should know the warning signs of a impending tornado. Hail, Dark sometimes greenish sky, low funnel shaped clouds.
- Know where emergency kit is. Put on shoes
- Know how to get the latest weather news for area
- Go into basement, if there is no basement tell the child to go into the smallest room in the center of the house.
- Keep windows shut
- if outside find lower ground and lie down, get in a stationary vehicle and put seat belt on.
- Stay away from bridges and over passes
Another peril you want your children to learn safety tips about is fire. A fire can occur in any building that they are in, including school. movie theater, home, friends home, etc. Fire can be fast moving but if your child know some safety tips it may save tier life.
Fire safety tips for kids
- DO NOT PLAY WITH MATCHES. LIGHTERS, OR OTHER FLAMMABLE MATERIALS
- Show your child where the smoke alarms are in the home and test it for them so that they recognize the sound. Have them get involved with checking the batteries each month.
- If a fire occurs in the building your child should know that they need to get out and do not hide.
- If possible they can wet a blanket and put it on them as they leave the building.
- Stay low to the ground, there is more oxygen and less smoke
- Have a family fire drill once a month.
- Kids should know how to call 911.
- Have a place that your family can meet outside
- Teach your kids how to stop-drop-and roll. If their clothing catches on fire running will only feed the flames. They should drop to the ground and roll until the flames are out.
- Teach them to never return to a burning building no matter what.
- Always feel a door to see if it is hot before you open it. If it is warm do not open it, go out a different way.
There are other safety tips that your children should know, water safety becomes an important issue each summer for children. Many preventable accidents occur each year.
Summer safety tips for kids
- Children should never swim alone. Even in a public pool your kids should make the habit of having a partner at all times.
- Always swim near a life guard where possible.
- Your children should know their swimming abilities and limits. Have them take swim lessons where available or show them the basic positions for treading water and floating in the event the are stuck in deep water for a long period of time.
- Kids should always wear a water safety jacket when they are on a boat and should know where the life boats are kept.
- Never trust a stream or river that is moving. Kids should know that currents below the surface of the water can be very strong and can carry them away. They should use caution as they enter any type of moving water.
Another time of year that your kids will need to use extra caution is Halloween. Halloween is a fun night for all but your kids should know safety tips that will keep them safe throughout the night.
Halloween safety tips for kids
- Kids should know that they cannot eat candy that has not been thoroughly inspected by an adult.
- Children should never go out alone when they are trick or treating. They should always be accompanied by an adult or age appropriate, with a group.
- Kids should not wear clothing that is too big and will make them trip. Kids should be able to see clearly out of their mask it they are wearing one.
- Children should always have reflective clothing or glow sticks on them so that they are easier to be seen by vehicles at night.
- Children should know not to accept candy from people randomly walking down the street.
- Kids should never enter someone’s home if invited unless accompanied by an adult.