Long and beautiful hair is something that everyone dreams of, but it is important to take proper care of your hair and protect them from various factors that cause hair damage. It is commonly seen that some people are completely unaware of the damage caused to their hair. When left untreated such damage cause irreparable loss to the hair structure and make it look dull and unattractive. Here are some tips on how to identify and treat damaged hair.
1. How to identify hair damage
How to identify hair damage is caused in many ways. The use of blow dryers, hot irons, and styling tools in a wrong way may cause great damage to the hair. Chemical treat damaged hair, harsh shampoos, and even sun exposure contribute to damaged Hair Grow. It thus becomes important to identify any sign of damage at its initial level so that it can be treated appropriately. The common signs of hair damage are:
- Roughness – Damaged hair tends to change its texture and becomes rough. To identify if your hair has a rough texture, hold a part of your hair upside down and move your finger over it. If it feels soft then there is no damage but if hair seems rough and brittle, your hair is probably damaged.
- Dullness – It is a result of severe damage to the hair shaft. If you find that your hair has no shine or luster, it’s time for some deep treatment to get back its natural glow.
- Split ends – Hold the ends of your hair and observe carefully if they show splitting then your hair is dry and damaged. Split ends make it harder for the hair to grow properly and your hair gets thinner towards the ends.
- Breakage – When the hair loses elasticity, it becomes susceptible to breakage. This kind of damage is actually hard to identify for anyone especially if you had healthy hair with great elasticity in the past. The only way to identify this problem is by having a constant watch on your hairbrush. If it is catching more hair, your hair is surely losing elasticity.
- Overly porous – This is yet another common sign of hair damage. If your hair fades color easily or absorbs it too rapidly, then your hair is porous. Sponginess with a matt look when wet also signifies overly porous hair.
2. How to treat damaged hair
Treating hair is not as easy as it seems and it may take a longer time to get back the real shine of your hair. Regular care and hair treatments may help you to prevent further damage and make your hair look beautiful and manageable to some extent. Here is a stepwise guide on how to treat and take care of damaged hair:
- Washing: Washing your hair on a regular basis with a mild daily shampoo may help in the clean-up of your hair from dirt and grime that may cause damage. It is best to shampoo your hair every other day to maintain its shine. Washing every day may snatch away the moisture from your hair especially if you are using a shampoo with harsh chemicals.
- Avoid products that contain alcohol: Using products like some gels, shampoo, and hairsprays that contain alcohol may leave your hair feeling dry. The main aim is to provide moisture to your hair and not strip it off. Therefore, read labels before buying any hair care product and avoid it if it contains alcohol.
- Conditioning: Conditioning is essential in keeping your hair free from damage. You must use a conditioner after shampooing and even on other days. Buy products that moisturize the hair and lock moisture in your hair strands. A leave-in conditioner helps in protecting the hair from damage.
- Home treatments: Home remedies are much effective in treating damaged hair. You may prepare a mask made of egg white and honey and apply it on your hair. Rinse off after 20 minutes and your hair will feel nourished. Other ingredients that can be used are bananas, aloe vera, avocado, mayonnaise, beer, etc. that helps in treating hair damage. Oils such as coconut oil, olive oil, and almond oil can work wonder on your hair. Try home treatment at least twice a month for deep nourishing.
- Avoid using heat types of equipment: Use of hot irons, blow dryers and curlers on dripping wet hair can worsen the damage caused to your hair. It is best to let your hair dry naturally instead of using blow dryers. Minimize the use of styling tools until your hair becomes healthy and beautiful.
Keeping a close look on your hair will help you in identifying the early signs of hair damage. Though hair treatments may reduce the damage caused, it is always better to avoid hair damage by regular hair care. Invest in good quality hair care products and remember natural ingredients are best for nourishing your hair and keeping them long, beautiful, and healthy.
Read More:- Top 5 Tips Natural Hair Growth