You own a home, well it is a matter of great pride and responsibility. Along with constructing a great place and designing it comes the need to keep it in good repair. While almost every piece of the home needs maintenance the need for the water flowing inside the living space needs serious attention too.
Most homeowners at times are not best informed of this need and are unaware that the cost of the bad or eroded plumbing system can cost them their dream home. While there is a need to call a 24-hour plumber to fix a situation that is at hand, there might be things that you can do to prevent it from occurring in the first place. Let’s discuss certain things that you must learn in advance with respect to plumbing issues and how you can reach out for help when needed.
Tips On Handling Flowing Water
- The first rule before you reach out to a 24-hour plumber is to get the water flow stopped. Look for the source of the main water line that is leading into the house and try to turn off the closest valve. This will stop further damage to the property and the loss of water too.
- Clear any area of excess water as far as possible that will obstruct the work a 24-hour plumber.
- Use simple tools like a plunger to start getting things moving before the 24-hour plumber arrives. Use a bathroom squeegee wiper to move water that is spilled into a specific direction.
- By this time, you have done some basic troubleshooting on the scene and you should be in a good position to check if there is a need to call a 24-hour plumber.
- Check if that faulty water line can be avoided from being used. If there are alternatives, such as using a common bathroom or a toilet till the next day morning, this will help you to avoid escalating your troubles say at 3 am in the morning.
- If you are confirmed that the call has to be made, remember that the service of a 24-hour plumber is going to be at a premium. Plumbing rates on off-hours and during weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) are relatively high as well.
It must be noted that your exercise is to check where the problem really is, this will not only help you to decide if the 24-hour plumber needs to be called or if it’s something that needs to be dealt with by another team such as the sewerage company.
While you have noted the root cause of the issue, make sure you have described that information to the plumber that is arriving. This will help him to be equipped with the right set of tools. Probe in the direction of what the fix could be to the problem that has been detected. You may request for what kind of possible solution he would suggest and what costs these would attract.
In your best interest, you could even call a couple more 24 hour plumbers to gain further opinions on the situation and validate the solution provided. This exercise can also help you cross-check the quote that was offered by your plumber and help you make an informed decision. Needless to say, if there are prior planning and work conducted in locating a reliable plumber, it makes life very easy.
In such a case the plumber might have already visited your home during a routine inspection and would be aware of the architectural plan for your home. When disaster strikes, he is in a good position to understand and relate to the issue, because of the prior knowledge he possesses.