Instagram is a well-known photography sharing site designed to offer a way for people to share special photos and moments with others quickly. Millions of people enjoy using Instagram and other social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, or as a standalone application. However, despite Instagram’s popularity, search engines show that many people search for the term ‘delete Instagram account.’ Let’s explore why…
The uses of Instagram
Many businesses use Instagram to instantly communicate and share videos and photos with either their current or potential clients and customers so that they can keep in touch with their client base in a way that appeals to them visually through the sharing of photos and videos.
In addition, the platform is conveniently integrated with other social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, to work seamlessly with each other. This allows you to implement the technologies of any or all of these platforms to engage people in your discussions further.
Families use Instagram primarily for posting family photos and albums, videos they took on a family vacation or special events. They can instantly connect with people by using the Instagram app on any of their mobile devices, and they can post their Instagram photos and videos via Twitter or Facebook.
Why are people searching for a ‘delete Instagram account’?
Despite the obvious advantages of Instagram as a photo platform, sometimes there is a need to delete your Instagram account so that you won’t have to worry about it. Some of these reasons might have to do with negative experiences with particular people while using the platform or perhaps a feeling of loss of privacy.
In addition, with the increase in rates of cyberbullying, Instagram has become an additional channel for trolls and bullies to spread their toxic remarks and attitudes. delete instagram account could be one way to stop such behavior – but remember to always ask for help if you think you are being subjected to any form of bullying or cyberbullying, no matter what.
Reasons you Might Want to Delete your Instagram Account
There are several reasons you may want to delete your Instagram account. As with any social media platform, there can be issues involving security or situations in which you need to delete your account.
- When you are concerned about the security of your commercial or personal photos, some professional photographers or business owners upload their photos to their Instagram accounts. While this is a great idea and allows them to share media worldwide instantly and on multiple platforms, it also may pose some issues regarding copyright infringement of their commercial work and photos. For this reason, some photographers will not upload particularly important or trademarked items for fear of losing them to a competitor or pirate.
- When you need to separate yourself from people who are on your Instagram account, this is the primary reason people consider delete instagram account. They may feel that staying on Instagram is too dangerous to risk and thus choose to delete their entire account to avoid the issues they sometimes have with the platform.
- When you are worried about security in general for yourself or your children, security is an issue for all social media, especially ones with an inherent focus on photos and video. On other social media, you do not have to post photos and videos. But Instagram has built its entire business model around posting media. So that is what it is primarily used for. This means that you may show pictures of family members, such as children or others who others could see with ill intentions.
- When you are experiencing bullying or other issues, this is one of the most common reasons for delete instagram account–when you or your child has been a victim of abuse or bullying or cyberbullying. If Instagram is the only way that the person can contact you, then delete instagram account may be the best thing to do. It offers a permanent and absolute solution to the problem right away. You do not have to worry about the security of your family if there is a problem with cyberbullying or other security issues.
- One other reason you may want to delete your account is due to worries about financial or other private information. Even though there are good security measures that Instagram has taken to avoid this sort of problem, there is always the chance that someone could get your information and use it or sell it to third parties. And even if the information they have is not that vital, they could track your behavior while online to study your buying and browsing habits to create leads for future sales. This is a common practice among third-party sales vendors, and it is not illegal if done correctly. Read the privacy policies of any social media platform or other accounts you have online, so you’ll always know the facts.
There are many valid reasons as to why you might need to delete your Instagram account.
However, before you do so, consider the following options which you can do before delete instagram account:
- Set your posts to private. This allows only specific people you specify to see your posts and keeps your privacy level more secure. By default, Instagram posts are “public,” so you will need to change this option in your Instagram account.
- Block people who bother you. If you are uncomfortable with specific people accessing your account, you can put their names in and block them easily within your Instagram security settings.
How to Set your Instagram Profile to “Private”
- Go to your profile by tapping the “profile” button.
- Choose “Edit your Profile,” which is located next to your profile picture.
- Choose the “Turn on Posts are Private” setting, then tap “Done.”
- Go to your profile by tapping the social media icon.
- Select the “Edit Profile” option located next to your profile picture.
- Turn on the “Posts are Private” setting and choose the checkmark to save the changes.
- Go to your profile by selecting the profile button.
- Tap “Edit Profile,” which is located next to your profile picture.
- Turn on the “Post are Private” setting.
- Tap the checkmark to save your changes.
How to Block People On Instagram
Sometimes you may decide that making your posts private is not enough to increase your security. For example, in instances of bullying or when you have had problems with specific people, you may want to block those people from initiating any further contact with you. If you decide to block specific people where they will not be able to see your posts or your profile, do the following:
- Go to the person’s profile by tapping the star icon at the bottom of the app and search for the individual user by typing their name in the search.
- Tap their profile and tap iOS, Android, or Windows, depending upon the system you are logged in with.
- Finally, Tap “Block User” to block the person from being able to view your profile or contact you. This is sometimes the best option when you are concerned about specific people contacting you or your child.
These options are a good idea if you decide not to have a full Instagram shut down or delete account features. However, it is important to try the other methods before entirely deleting your account because you cannot reinstate your account under your current account details at any time once it is deleted.
Deleting an Instagram Account
Once you decide that delete instagram account is what you should do, here are the steps to take:
- Log into Instagram.com from a desktop computer. You cannot delete it from your mobile application.
- Click your user name and hit “edit profile.”
- Click the “I’d like to delete my account” option in the bottom right corner.
If you contact technical support or customer service and ask “How do I delete” my account or “How to Delete Account,” they will likely refer you to the FAQs or support page, but you can use the information above to do this.
Alternately, you can go ahead and email tech support with the subject: I want to delete my Instagram account, and someone will get back to you. However, it is important to note that the Instagram staff cannot delete the account for security reasons. Therefore, you must do this yourself following the steps we have outlined above.
Also Read: How To Get Instagram Famous
If you are having trouble deciding whether to delete your Instagram account or not, here are some things to keep in mind in making your decision:
- Remember that once your account is deleted, you will not ever be able to reactivate it. You start all over and activate a brand new account with a different name and email, but you cannot reactivate an old account. So remember you will be losing all of your photos and videos which you have stored on your Instagram account, and you may have to reconnect with people once you have cleared out your entire database by deleting it.
- You may want to consider using the “blocking” option or “Make your profile private” so that all of your posts will be available only to specified people. This is a good option when you have underage kids who use Instagram. More and more kids are using Instagram these days, so this is a wise move for parents to ensure that anyone acting suspiciously online with their child is barred from making a connection with them.
- If blocking and making messages and posts private are not enough, you will want to delete your Instagram account to prevent people from viewing your profile or account or seeing your posts. As we mentioned, though, keep in mind that once your account is deleted, you will not be able to restore it under your current email and user name, and you will have to start all over again should you ever decide to reinstate it.
- Other options might include monitoring your child’s access or limiting the time you allow them to spend online. By watching what your child is doing more carefully or limiting their screen time, you will help avoid any problems they might run into and avoid having to delete the account altogether.
- Much of the strategy in being safe online is more preventive than anything. This includes explaining the rules to your child about what you expect of them when they are online on social media such as Instagram or any social media program or platform.
Are you still, Searching for ‘delete Instagram account’?
If you decide to delete Instagram account, that’s understandable if you feel you are not secure using these other methods. That is always your choice. But before you do, talk to your child about net behavior and teach them to report any strange actions or text messages to you so that you can handle them immediately. You can even report abuse to the Instagram administrator, and they will try to help you. But if you need to delete your account for good, we hope this guide will help you do just that.